Tuesday, March 20, 2012

House Tips Series - Bananas

Spring seems like the perfect time for a new beginning, so how about a completely different series?  Put your cameras away (okay, don't put them away, still keep snapping and sharing), because we're going to start talking about household tips.

Starting with bananas.



Well, where would you start?  Trust me, if you eat bananas you are going to be thrilled.

I love having bananas available on the counter for a healthy snack option, but seriously don't you find that you can buy them perfect one day and then they're over-ripe crap the next day?

Well, I'm about to solve that little dilemma for you.  Really I am.

For starters, take your bunch of bananas apart at the stems.  This will help to keep them from ripening too quickly.

But the second tip is the best, put them in a plastic bag.  I know, it doesn't sound right does it.  I balked at it as well, but I hate ruined bananas so much that I thought I would give it a try.


So above you have two bananas.  One of them was purchased 8 days ago and the other was purchased 3 days ago, and at the time of purchase, they looked pretty much the same as far as ripeness. So, which banana do you think is older?

I know you want to say the top one, but that's the one from only 3 days ago.  The bottom one (8 days) was in a plastic bag all week.  I couldn't believe how well this worked.


I just used one of the produce bags from the grocery store.  I tried it last week with a ziploc-type bag and it worked great as well, but it was a pain to keep zipping it (yeah, we're all about the minimal amount of effort around here).

Let me know how this works for you if you try it.

12 comments:

Lynn said...

Gonna give it a try-thanks:@)

Carol-Anne said...

That's a great idea, which I'm definitely gonna try! Looking forward to more tips...I love them!

Kei said...

Ooh you've given me a craving for bananas now...We always keep ours in a plastic bag (they usually come in one) but never separate them at the stalks. Will have to try it!

Unknown said...

I am constantly buying bananas because they get to ripe so fast. I am going to have to give this a try for sure. In fact I am making banana bread out of some of the over ripe bananas today. ;0)

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm game for trying this. I have enough over ripe mashed bananas in the freezer to keep me in banana bread for life! ~ Maureen

Adrianne Surian said...

What?!? Really??

I am a brown-banana-phobe. Like if it gets one brown spot, I'm done. It goes into the pile of make-into-banana-bread. I end up making more bread than I do eating fresh bananas. I am absolutely trying this.

I also wonder if putting them in a tupperware would work the same? Or if the air all needs to get squeezed out of the bag for this to work? Any data on that?

Macey said...

I hate bananas that are too yellow. I'd rather have em slightly green.
I'm gonna have to try this.

Mindy said...

Seriously? We go through a lot of bananas in this house. The Kid eats one every time he says he has growing pains. I have five in the fridge right now in an attempt to keep them from turning brown. I'm all over this tip!

Jenny said...

Are you kidding me?!?! I am definitely trying this. Thanks for the tip:)
Jenny

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Are you kidding me? It really works?! You have just saved the day here at this banana eating house!

Hanni said...

Wow, must try it! I throw out ruined vegies and fruits every week, what is not eco-friendly, neither purse-friendly.
I am waiting for the next tips. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My banana's alway's ripen way too fast... which is only good for a few things...and that doesn't even happen around here to often. This makes lots of sense! Thanks for sharing!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...