Friday, May 6, 2011

Yummy Easter Nests



I know it seems a bit late for Easter cookies, but we celebrated Easter one week later because my brother-in-law had to work on the actual Easter weekend and we would not hear of him missing the celebration.  Well, actually he was supposed to be doing the cooking so there wouldn't have been much of a celebration without him.



We brought the cutest chocolates nests.  I totally stole copied the idea from Deneen at Dreaming In Color.  I used our family recipe for Chocolate Macaroons but borrowed her presentation which I think is just the cutest.


This one looks like something is hatching from that pink egg.  In the end, I think it was more chocolate.  :)

Here is our family recipe for the Chocolate Macaroons:

6 Tablespoons cocoa
1-1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2-1/2 cups oats
1-1/2 cups coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan, combine and melt the cocoa, white sugar, milk and butter.  Bring to a boil and then stir continuously for 1 minute.

Remove from the heat.

Add the oats, coconut and vanilla.  Let cool a bit.  Drop onto wax paper and let sit until hardened up a bit.  Enjoy.

Notes:

Milk:  I used skim milk because that's what I had, but you could use any kind.
Oats:  Do not use steel cut.  I used quick-cooking.
Coconut:  For the nests I would recommend shredded but I have used flaked in a pinch.  I usually get the unsweetened as these cookies are pretty sweet already.
Freezer:  These freeze great.  I've been known to dip into the frozen stash on occasion.  :)

I usually cover them lightly with waxed paper and let sit overnight so that they don't end up too soft to lift up and eat.  For the Easter nests, I added the mini eggs right after dropping them onto the waxed paper so that they would set up in the cookie and not fall off.

I'm linking up here:

Debbiedoos Newbie Party

You might also like:


Blue and Silver Bracelet

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Yum! So cute!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Thanks for the shout out! They came out adorable!
dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

Debbiedoos said...

YUMMO...I thought they were real birds nests!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

So cute!! You did a great job!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...