Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fabric Without a Purpose

I want to learn how to sew. Actually, I have wanted to learn how to sew for decades now but up until now I have been going with the osmosis method.  I figured that if I checked out enough blogs and patterns and completed projects that I would magically know how to sew.


Obviously that hasn't happened.  So now is the time for a change of tactic.  Today, I went to Fabricland and picked up three pieces of fabric from the clearance bin.  I have no idea what to do with them, I just liked how pretty they looked.


Source




Have I mentioned that I also have a crippling fear of ruining things?  That's another reason why I've had a hard time learning to sew.  I am afraid to actually cut up and sew the fabric.  It's so pretty, what if I ruin it.  I know, I know.  (Did I tell you the story of having a gorgeous set of acrylic paints and brushes and wanting desperately to paint with them.  Only I was afraid of painting garbage and using up all the paints.  By the time I gathered up my courage, the paints had gone mouldy.  No painting for me.)


So, in an effort not to repeat the acrylic paint episode, I am going to sew something.  Now I just need a little help with what I'm going to sew.  Here are the fabrics and their approximate sizes.  What would you do with them?


This was $1.63 for 0.65 metres x 1.5 metres.  (For my American friends, that is approximately 2 feet x 5 feet):



This one was $3.15 for 0.9 metres x 1.4 metres (or approximately 3 feet x 4.6 feet):



And finally, this piece was $3.83 for 0.85 metres x 1.5 metres (approximately 2.8 feet x 5 feet):


1 comment:

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Terry, why don't you try making a table runner with one of the pieces. All you would have to do is hem a piece of fabric. I think the bottom piece of fabric could be turned into a pillow cover (maybe for your lining room sofa). Check out bringrestoration.blogspot.com for her 5 minute cushion tutorial or go to the Cityline website and look for the same type of tutorial bu Mary Dobson. These pillow covers require no zippers or buttons.... even I could make one! Good Luck!

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...