Thursday, March 24, 2011

Living Room Makeover

So now that we've been in this house for just over two years, we really feel like things are coming together.  Obviously there is always something on the wish list and things that need to be done but we're starting to feel like this is our home.

Our living room had been a challenge for us because it had a huge 18-foot wall that we didn't know how to decorate.  We played with a bunch of different ideas:  painting a mural, putting fake windows up, buying a wall unit.  Nothing really worked,...until,.....we designed our own wall unit.  Here is the before:




Notice a couple of really nice things, like those lamps.  What the heck was I thinking with these skinny little beanpole lamps.  Ugh.  And you'd never know that I am obsessive with the way the cabinet under the TV is not even close to being lined up evenly.  Hurts my eyes to look at this picture.

Okay, moving on to the fun part.

Yesterday the genius who built our wall unit (Jeff of Fign Woodworking) installed the beauty for us.  After an entire morning and most of the afternoon, I have finally rid the downstairs of most of the sawdust and am ready for the reveal.

Who's ready?  Okay, here is our after shot:


We are so excited.  We still have to get black speaker mesh to cover the DVD player and the other components and we need something to hang over top, but woohoo, we couldn't be happier with how this turned out.  We really like how the cabinets are substantial enough to fill the space.  I am breathing a big old sigh of relief (I find these things to be very stressful).  

Here is a picture so that you can see how high the ceiling is.



What would you do above the top cabinet?  

8 comments:

Jodie said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!

I love your new wall unit! I think a couple of large vases (various sizes) would look nice on top.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Jodie

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

That is a great looking wall unit! I think whatever you put on top needs to be large. What really caught me eye, though, was the clock- I love it! I also noticed a cute dog in the top picture. He looks like he's got something to say!

Little City Farm said...

LOL - thanks gals. Yes, I should have introduced Danny. His chocolate head goes with the decor. :)

Anonymous said...

Terry I want the clock..LOL!!! Just amazing what people can make to fill our lives with joy!! I think a couple of chocolate brown candles and some greenery would look nice up on top if I see a pic of something I will send it. You go girl, you've got style..love you!!

Jennifer said...

I don't want to be anonymous how do I be me ..LOL!!

Becky and the Beanstock said...

I really love the wall unit! I had such a hard time envisioning it when it was in the design stage (but then, it seemed like you did too : ) but now that it's done I can't believe how well it seems to fit. Seems like it was made for your walls. Oh, wait....

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I wonder if a really really big canvas with diy modern art or even one of those photos on canvas would look neat up there, leaning against the wall...along with a large vase w/ sticks or something???

Thanks for the visit today!

jandjhome said...

Incredible. That is a huge wall to fill and this works great. I'm your newest follower.

If you enjoyed this read,...

Consider joining me over at my active blog: Write Create Connect
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...